Thursday, August 6, 2009

It's 5:46 am and I woke up because I was cold from lack of adequate covers and an open window. Oh the things we do for fresh air.

Then I heard some kids out on the golf course. I wanted to go tell them that at 4am it's probably not a socially wise thing to be chilling at the golf course, making noise, but then I remembered that when I was, you know, under the age of 30, that was pretty much exactly what I thought was a totally great idea. Is anybody really scared of the cops busting you for trespassing on the golf course? So, I hauled my old-man-yelling-get-off-my-lawn ass back into the house. Seriously, I'm, like, 75. Arrrr... pirates.

J Tillman, people. I'm tellin' ya. Crooked Roof is an all-time fave.

Now it's almost six and I have to be up in half an hour to get ready for work, but I want to sleep for a couple hours, now that I've gotten good and tired again. Again, I'm, like, 75.

I've started a couple songs recently that might be worth something. That's cool, I think.

Turns out the people I work for, College Pro Painters, are... perhaps not savory. The local franchise manager is an alright dude, I think, and better than a lot of FMs, but, oi, you know, the parent company pretty much uses college students as fodder. It's what I will call a "capital scheme", by which I do not mean, "great idea, governor", but rather that CPP offers a "franchise opportunity" to folks who then raise their own capital to actually run the business, all the while paying ridiculous fees and purchases to the parent company. So, really it's a funnel scheme. The parent company funnels money from the consumer through the franchisee while guaranteeing an income stream from the franchise fees. I suppose that's the normal franchise thing, but in this case, you gain nothing by associating with the franchise. That is, after all, the point of franchising. That they will benefit you in by name recognition, capital expenses, or business acumen, in a way you could not without that association. In this case, you'd be better off just starting up your own painting business.

The upshot is that I'm not sure how long I want to work for these folks. I don't like working for bloodsuckers. If my local franchise manager wasn't a reasonable guy, I'd have already made like a tree.

How does everybody feel about CAD M179s versus a typical small diaphragm condenser for recording guitars? I've heard good things and I'd like to maybe buy one...someday...

2 comments:

Carrie said...

They say that 30 is the new 75. Or is that 75 is the new 30? Er...

I was with you in this post until you started talking a different language in the last paragraph.

When do we get to hear the new tunes?

Mike said...

Hahaha... 30 is the new 75. What's that? I can't hear you.

New tunes... knowing me, probably never. In the meantime, checkity check the J Tillman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVPet3TWwHw