Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Blue Bird of Happiness

I enjoy Pandora radio quite a bit while I'm on the 'net. In both the sense that I listen to Pandora quite a bit when I'm online, and that when I do, I quite enjoy myself. Most of the time. There is always the very quirky inability of their analyzing system to understand what I enjoy about certain bands. For instance, if you're listening to Ric Hordinski, do you really want to hear some typical alt. pop rocker? Does that make any sense at all?

Pandora really tried to sell me on Joshua Radin for awhile. And I'm sorry, but if I can consider Sufjan a one-trick pony ( I really should revise that because, in all honesty, it's not fair), then J. Radin is a pony with three legs. I do like the song "Someone Else's Life", but it seriously smells like what I would expect from Jose Gonzalez covering Elliot Smith.

Speaking of which, they're playing "Rose Parade" just now. Gosh, I enjoy this guy's music, but between Elliot and Thom Yorke, I'm not sure how some of my friends managed to stay alive through the late 90's, let alone upbeat, esp. considering how many also weaned themselves on "Ten", Soundgarden, and Cobain's untimely death.

Speaking of which, a bluebird just landed on the tree outside my window. There used to be a phrase, popular for songsmiths, actually: "the bluebird of happiness". Isn't that odd? Is that some kind of ironic joke? Who comes up with this stuff?

No comments: