Monday, July 13, 2009

Well, I suppose it's time for an update of the ole blog. My last entry tells me I was in Washington, PA. That was some time ago. Only a month by calendar time, but eons ago by personal time.

Since then, I've slept in a cemetery, some parking lots, my car, recorded a wedding, considered moving into a homeless shelter, got the big wake-up call from that experience, been gifted with a room in the house of some really nice people, bought a po box, and gotten some leads on employment. I played disc golf yesterday and am looking forward to eating dinner with some friends tonight. Good days, bad days, all framed by the windows of a 1997 Buick Park Avenue

I helped a friend sort through the boxes of legal files of her deceased husband. That was an interesting experience and one I feel privileged to have had. The viewpoint on people's lives from their guardianships and probate proceedings is a fascinating one. Legal proceedings and financial records are not considered to be full of what most people consider "life", but it lends such an interesting angle to the light displaying someone's life. I got to witness the humanity and helpfulness of a lawyer in a way no one besides his wife has ever known. It was moving. I knew the man shortly before he died and getting to sort through these files helped to bring him alive as a whole person. It's such an interesting record. Full of little things, little insights and clues, little suggestions about the whole. A kind of written silhouette, a prose holographic projection, indistinct but with a suggestive certainty. It was an honor.

I turned 30 on June 20th this year. I think my abiding feeling about the change of numerals is a feeling of a loss of youth. It's sad and disquieting and good and wholing all together. Life hasn't gone to plan and I feel there's many things I've missed, baskets that haven't been filled, but it feels like there is a direct addressing that is happening now that was never there before. A kind of easy-paced continuing. enyh, whatever, but it's weird, the psychological shifting...

Cheers.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Michael!

Mike said...

Why thank you. :)