Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Boutiques and Bibles

Tonight I took a walk in the early night air around the turnarounds of my parent's neighborhood. It was a perfect night, cool and full of stars. I didn't bother putting on shoes because sometimes it's not worth the time and effort of finding them and putting them on.

I thought about why using the Bible as a template for living and decision making can sometimes be a bad thing. This being juxtaposed to just doing what you think is right or a good idea. I've thought about this before, but something new came to mind tonight. I think that the Bible acts like a connect-the-dots picture describing life and God and everything. It gives the boundaries , but it doesn't give the details. In order to understand the details, you have to actually live with God, you have to relate to, and with, him. God is the one we are to know, love, serve, and project. The Bible is not God. It outlines God, to be sure. There are not gaps in the outline. But it doesn't spend much time on the details. And I think a lot of people, myself included, end up serving the outline rather than the whole. This explains why so many things in life don't seem to fit. If an alien only ever saw my silhouette, they would never understand what a tooth was. They might know it related to me but they wouldn't know how. Of course, if they asked, I could tell them. But without that relationship, they'd be clueless.

Since I lost my job at the salt flat, I've been wondering what to do about a career pursuit. I've thought about performing music, I've thought about doing non-profit work, I've thought about going back to Davey tree, I've thought about environmental/biology work, but I don't know what a good direction is. I've no doubts that whatever I choose now will end up morphing later, but what to choose now...? Tonight, I thought about microphone design. I've ordered an output transformer for my ribbon mic, as an upgrade, and I've been thinking that I might be able to just build more ribbon mics. They are extremely simple designs, so it would be a great place to start.

I found someone who hopefully can mix and master the music I recorded for the Becky Adams EP. Tim Gerak, from Six Parts Seven, has been building a nice studio in Highland Square, and I think he's a good choice. Cheap, but he has a good amount of experience. I'm really hoping this will work out. I wrote him an e-mail, we'll see what happens.

-mike

No comments: