Thursday, April 16, 2009

Zap!

I've spent the past few weeks building an electric fence with my dad in order to graze off some wheat we have that is laced with jointed goat grass, a pernicious weed. It's taken *forever*, for various reasons, and we just got it finished today. It works. We know because it's very easy to test: Apply finger. If you yelp, it works. :)

I've been buying a lot of musical equipment so that I can start playing out. In the past, I've always borrowed a PA system, but now I'm going to have my own. Simple, small, it fits me. Just put the finishing order on for some bulk cable to make speaker cables out of. I guess that's not all I need, I still need a power amp or a powered mixer, whichever is cheaper, but I've got the power amp narrowed down to an Alesis RA-100. It's normally used for studio monitors, but I think it'll work just fine for my needs and will be able to serve me double duty. There's a load of them on Ebay. New bookshelf speakers to use as monitors, new headphones, new PA speakers, cables, lots of new toys!! :)

Had some trouble with the bull calf the other day. He's not been cut, so he's starting to feel like a ladies' man. Jumped the fence (since the cows in our herd don't give him the time of day) to make some new friends. I thought he'd been stolen until I found him. So we had to get him back and close him up in our corral (a portable deal). Grounded! No TV, No internet, no phones, nothing for a month, mister!!

Sometime soon, my cousin will come up and we'll cut and tag and brand the calves and put them all on the wheat. I'll be pretty happy when we get this all done, finally. They're all long overdue to become steers, especially that bull calf (my father calls him "the prince"), but since the calves all belong to my uncle, we can't do things on our timetable.

Pizza Hut has cut me back to 3.5 hours now, so I'm thinking it's time to blow this town. lol. California, ho!

No comments: